Jäger Umwelt-Technik Press release 01/2014
Demand of power and resources for waste water treatment
In the process of waste water treatment the biological clarification takes the highest share in energy consumption. The production of oxygen needs approx. 20kWh per year and person. For 500 Million residents of the EU the total amount of waste water including waste water from industry and production sums up to an amount of waste water equivalent to 1,000 Million residents. 90 percent of this waste water is clarified in waste water treatment plants. Considering the a m 20kWh/a oxygen production for waste water treatment per year and resident - the EU needs about 18,000 GWh per year only for oxygen production for waste water treatment. In these days China and most of the Arabic countries are facing the start of ecological waste water treatment. Waste water treatment will develop rapidly, not only for environmental reasons but mainly to avoid epidemics and diseases and guarantee sanitation. The demand for energy and resources will develop accordingly and can be easily predicted.
The oxygen in the biological process is pressed into the aeration tanks via so called diffuser elements creating fine air bubbles. The smaller the air bubbles the more oxygene is transferred into the waste water. Most aeration systems are able to get about 30 percent of the air oxygen into the water. The remaining 70 percent pass off the waste water together with the air bubbles without any effect. Having this in mind every percent of better oxygen utilization could reduce energy consumption by 3 percent.
Jäger aeration technology
By developing the first membrane diffuser 40 years ago Jäger made an essential contribution optimizing oxygen utilization for waste water aeration. Various membrane material like EPDM, Silicone, Polyurethane, Viton and combined materials meet the various requirements of waste water treatment. The materials can be modulated towards maximal life expectancy and optimal efficiency. Jäger’s portfolio includes all types of diffusers such as disc, tube and strip diffuser. Diffuser layout, price/performance ratio and energy efficiency can be adjusted in an optimal way for the special waste water requirements. Energy costs could be reduced essentially by developing strip diffusers with a large-scale and dispersed oxygen intake.
- TWISTER® Bowling Pins
- TWISTER® Statoren
- SPIRA® Statoren
- JetFlex® Belüfter
- Silentium Drive
- Cleartec® Biotextil
- Cleartec® BioCurlz
Award for the Family Entrepreneur of the Year 2018